Sunday, December 6, 2009

Finnish genealogy database on the web

The genealogical society of Finland has an ongoing project called "Hiski" which aims to make Finnish parish records available on the Internet. The project has it roots in an earlier project of the society where parish records before the year 1820 were copied from original documents to "black books". This copying was done during 1924-1948. The earlies records in the "black books" are from 17th century but most parishes have records only after 1730's.

HisKi project started in the 1980's and will still continue for years. In the project volunteers are copying records from the "black books" to HisKi database. HisKi has also started to record the rest of the 19th century.

The great thing about HisKi is that it's database is already publicly available on the web and anyone is able to do searches in the database. HisKi database can be accessed throug this link: Hiski database.

2 comments:

  1. WOW - I think I found my great-grandparent's record of their marriage. I need to do more research into what that record is telling me, but ... Thank You!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm happy if the article helped or encouraged you to have a look at HisKi. :) I guess I'll write more of this kind of practical advices in the future.

    ReplyDelete

 
Real Time Web Analytics